Monday, November 6, 2017

Pecha Kucha Presentation

My experience with Pecha Kucha has been limited to helping a very close friend prepare her own Pecha Kucha presentation by timing her slideshow and giving feedback. I remember the stress that went into keeping pace with the show, and that is my greatest area of concern now. I like the tips from the instructional video to use an outline instead of a script, but I know that my tendency to ramble or trail off might make sticking to the 20 second mark a challenge. Knowing the presentation through and through makes for a less anxiety-inducing presentation, but I feel like it is possible to overprepare. Still, the supportive culture that has been established in our class really eases any anxiety I have about presenting to my peers.

As for what I am going to do my Pecha Kucha on, I'm still undecided. My best idea going forwards is inspired by the Youth In Action presentation. It was definitely the most impactful part of this class thus far, and gave me some ideas as to how I can be a more effective advocate for social justice within my own classroom. At the program where I teach, the greatest deficit my students must overcome is the lack of stability in their lives. Integral to this is my students' almost universal lack of positive role models. Throughout the entire Y.I.A. presentation, the thought that nagged me most was how I wished my students could be there to hear those young women speak. Very rarely in their lives do they receive positive messages and inspiration, especially outside the program. I would like to more closely examine the potential benefits of having powerful examples of young women advocating for themselves and how the exposure to these examples could benefit my classroom population. I would also like to look into ways my program could provide residents with access to mentorship programs. Too often do messages come to my students only through the lenses of the media and the program, and I believe it would help my students' growth to have role models like the young women in Y.I.A. and similar programs.

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome idea! I totally agree that students rarely here from their peers and receive support or inspiration from someone that is not their teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen on culture: y'all are cool.

    Idea: why not partner with YIA to do something cool at your site?

    ReplyDelete

Seminar Facilitation Reflection

"Testing sucks" This was the general consensus amongst our group, and based on the data from Johnson and Richer, the consensus a...