Monday, September 25, 2017

Sometimes We Need it Explained Like We're Five.



To be perfectly honest, Armstrong and Wildman’s article, unlike much of what we have read so far this semester, was difficult for me to connect with. I’m thinking it was a mix of the highfalutin language and (admittedly) waiting until Monday evening for a perusal of a very complex text; but as I was reading through, I kept coming back to an old adage: “You don’t understand something unless you can explain it simply.” I found myself wanting, as a reader (and educator who wanted the golden nugget of information to incorporate into my classroom instruction), that simple explanation of how “colorblindness is the new racism” and how to use the “antidote” of “Color Insight” to solve our problems. I was left with this feeling until I read through Kevin Roose’s article on Black Lives Matter (more specifically, GreekAesthete’s ELI5 post).  
 
I don’t think that there is ever a simple explanation, so we need Armstrong and Wildman to bring out the big guns and expand our lexicons by sending us to the dictionary to understand how multiculturalism and diversity studies are vulnerable to “corporate usurpation” and “over-particularization” (68). Despite the inaccessibility of much of the language, there are several merits to the article. Unlike Johnson and Delpit, Armstrong and Wildman provide meaningful and practical exercises to apply to the classroom to help students move towards color insight. The “racial observation exercise”, for example, is an excellent opportunity for students to be mindful, reflective, and productive observers (69). I think it might be a challenge to modify the exercise for a high school class, especially for, say, my classroom with a highly-structured special education setting, but it’s refreshing to get practical ideas for instruction. 

As with everything we have covered in class, I am constantly working towards incorporating it into my classroom to make me a better educator and my students more critical and reflective learners. While Armstrong and Wildman’s “dynamic postmodern Koosh ball” metaphor might not meet the needs of my group of learners, the ideas behind Reddit’s Explain Like I'm 5 do. Much of Reddit is NSFW or school, but there are many valid, applicable ideas that can be incorporated into and modified for class. If you’re not familiar with Reddit and its various subreddits, there are endless topic boards you can subscribe to follow. Many are unseemly (like much of The Internet in general), but others promote intellectual and informative discourse, such as ELI5 and TIL. ELI5 calls upon Redditors who have a comprehensive-enough understanding of a topic to explain it as if their audience were five years old. Every educator who has set foot in front of a classroom of young adults has found him or herself having to explain a concept to a group IN THE SIMPLEST TERMS POSSIBLE because for whatever reason (e.g. it’s Monday morning, they don’t care right now, they think you’re speaking a foreign language, etc.) it’s just not clicking. Much of Armstrong and Wildman didn’t click for me. Maybe I’m unwillingly and unwittingly (or “untwittingly”... wait for it...) falling into the mindset that information isn’t important unless it’s condensable into 140 characters or less. There is no way to boil down or "Twitterize" racism, colorblindness, and privilege. Still, I think about the ways we can affect the most change, both with our students and our peers, and there’s definitely merit in both the exhaustive and condensed responses.

5 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I totally agree with what you're saying about the "clicking" of the article. I found this article to be very slow at the beginning and then started to pick up and grab my attention when introduced to classroom experiences. I also am intrigued as to how we could modify the observation method so that we could apply it in a middle school or high school level, because I think the idea behind it is incredibly powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I laughed out loud at your poke at "corporate usurpation” and “over-particularization.” In graduate school at Syracuse, I remember a big showdown with one of the critical theorist faculty members who argued vehemently for the importance of being able to 'talk the talk' of high theory discourse. She wanted us to be able to pull up a chair at the Big Kids' table and participate in thoughtful discourse about epistemology and poststructuralism and performativity and phallogocentrism. Others argued just as vehemently that if you couldn't explain the "hegemonic constructions of the gendered self" through simple, clear language then what was the point! And the debate continues... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I agree with both you and Bianca and the connection with the article. It took me awhile, and multiple re-readings to really get a grasp at what they were saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG... I feel i am the only one that actually didnt struggle reading this article. I struggle A LOT reading the other ones, and for me this was the easiest one to understand. True, the Black lives matter article helped a lot to understand the other one. \.. there is a huge possibility though that I can't explain none of readings in a simple way! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the 5-year-old analogy. That was basically my litmus test in college: I tried to make sure that my friends and I could explain things well enough that a 4th grader could understand them. That's when we knew that we really "got" the concept.

    ReplyDelete

Seminar Facilitation Reflection

"Testing sucks" This was the general consensus amongst our group, and based on the data from Johnson and Richer, the consensus a...